Thursday 25 April 2013

Incubator 2 is now all cleaned out and packed away


We had just one more chick out this morning, a little Buff Pekin. The rest were dead in shell. Maybe it was because I managed to squeeze 60 eggs into a 24 egg incubator?, anyway, with the move coming up and another 2 hatches due in the next week and a half, I'm not too disappointed with 32 chicks.

I candled the eggs in incubator 1 today which is due to hatch in a week on Saturday and took out 1 Yokohama and a few of the White Pekins (as expected as some of the eggs were nearly 3 weeks old when I set them!), but all the others seem to be doing well. I also candled the Call Duck eggs under the broody Pekin as it is now day 25 and hatching could start at any time, so I'll candle them daily from now. The broody is fine with me removing the eggs to candle them and doesn't get stressed at all.

Cleaned out a couple of brooders today had a bit more of a tidy up outside, so now it really is all done, so I can have a day off tomorrow apart from cleaning out the duck brooder!. Hopefully, we'll also have the move date confirmed tomorrow, so things can get moving properly.

Had a few more eggs today, we had
1 Call Duck
1 Turkey
1 Lavender Pekin
1 Black Pekin
2 Buff Pekin
1 Yokohama Bantam

No comments:

Post a Comment