Tuesday 19 March 2013

The end of Horndean Hens and the beginning of Petersfield Poultry?

Today, we have agreed a move to Petersfield, as it will be a much better place for the children. I'll have roughly the same space as I have here for the chickens, but with new neighbours etc, we thought that we'll have to keep the breeding groups down and focus more on hatching and raising, so I've now got the following breeding groups available:

Pair of Cream Legbars
Pair of Light Sussex Bantams
Quartet of Old English Game Bantams
Pair of Friesian Fowl
Pair of White Crested Polish Bantams
A Few of our Pekin groups (haven't decided on what colours to keep yet)

So we will be left with

3 Groups of Pekins (possibly one mixed, one lavender and one other colour)
Yokohama Bantams
Silver Sebrights
White Silkies
Lemon Millifluer Sablepoots
Call Ducks
Mandarin Ducks
Norfolk Black Turkeys


And I've got some Serama chicks, that I hope to keep a trio or quartet.
So if anyone is interested in any of the birds we've got available, the please email mike@horndeanhens.co.uk



I've also decided to set incubator 1 again tomorrow, only one more hatched over night and the other seven eggs haven't progressed, so I'd guess they're DIS, I'll leave them til the morning to see. I'll have to make sure I give the incubator a very good clean tomorrow rather than just wiping it with a detol wipe as this could be why we had so many DIS'. I've got about 50 eggs to choose from to put in there tomorrow, so I'll have to decided which ones to put in. I'm also putting the Call Duck eggs we have into the Duck incubator (incubator 3), we have 10 so far and maybe another tomorrow. Being a manual turn, I don't see a problem with doing this when I already have some in there that are due to hatch next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment