Tuesday 15 January 2013

Woke up to babies

Checked the incubator this morning and had 2 sweet little pekins in it :). The OEG are well on their way too, so looks like all 4 will hatch. As expected the mixed pekin is black, now will have to wait and see if it's frizzled, as the cockbird what was in with the mixed pekins was a black frizzle pekin.

Candled the eggs in the other incubator this morning too and it was no surprise that the Lemon Milliefluer Sablepoot eggs were clear. Looks like I'll have ti wait for the new cockbird to get to the eggs :P. What was a surprise though was that the silver partridge pekin eggs were all clear (5 of them). given the fact that I have just hatched one from that pair this morning!. Will have to keep an eye on them. Most of the mixed pekin where either clear or had bloodrings. the Lavender Pekins are all fertile, along with 2/3 crele pekins and 100% Light Sussex Bantams, Blue Wyandotte and the Indian Game egg. What was pleasing more than anything to me was that 4 out of 5 white silkie eggs were fertile :). We had problems with them last year, when she first started laying, all the eggs were fertile, so I hatched some, sold some on ebay, then when it came to setting more eggs, every single one had been clear :(

I've got 15 eggs so far to put in the corti tomorrow (assuming the 2 oeg hatch and are ready to go in the brooder in the morning). The only new ones to go in there at the moment is 1 legbar egg and a couple of cuckoo pekin...the others will be a mix of lav pekins, silkie, crele pekin and light sussex bantam. also have a couple of indian game eggs, but I don't think I'll be setting them, as it's not a breed we're likely to be keeping, but now I know they're fertile, I shall sell the eggs in ebay






No comments:

Post a Comment