Tuesday 22 January 2013

Incubator number 2 set





I set incubator number 2 last night. So far it's holding 12 welsummer bantam eggs (ebay jobbie, so won't expect them to be great!). The rest of the eggs are our birds, so it's a bit of a fertility test too. We've got

2 Cream Legbar
4 Cuckoo Pekin
3 Light Sussex Bantam (we know these should be fertile, as I have some in the other incubator due to hatch on the 30th)
2 Buff Pekin (could still be mixed)
1 White Pekin (could still be mixed)
4 Lemon Millifluer Sablepoot (hopefully will be fertile with the new cock bird)

I'll also set whatever eggs I have laid in the next 2 days, apart from the OEG bantams and Indian Game, I'm not planning on keeping Indian Game (still trying to sell the trio) and have enough OEG chicks for now, so they're going on eBay.. Should also have 5 Red Saddled Yokohama eggs tomorrow or Wednesday (Thanks Sean!)

Also my Silver Partridge Pekin is broody, so a couple of days ago, I put just one of the sablepoot eggs under her. will candle tomorrow and if it's clear, I'll have to try to do something to break her.

Will also need to have a move around with the birds in the shed next week, as I'll need one of the pens for another brooder. Was thinking of moving the OEG Bantams outside and putting the cuckoo pekins in the hutch the OEG are in, which will free up the big dog cage that I use as a brooder..

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone that reads my ramblings. Please don't be afraid to comment on any of my posts, offer any advice or suggestions or just to say hi...go on...don't be shy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment